Veterans should receive many benefits over the course of their life for the selfless service they provide to their country. As veterans get older and their need for care and support increases, understanding different benefit programs becomes increasingly important. Unfortunately, navigating the bureaucracy to get benefits can be challenging – especially if you are ill or are experiencing the effects of aging.
Biddinger & Estelle, PC is here to help veterans and their families. Our Northern Michigan veterans’ benefits lawyers provide advice on what types of programs you can qualify for and how those programs work. We also assist you in understanding any costs, in providing required documentation, and in completing your application process. Give us a call at 989-872-5601 to find out how we assist veterans and to discover what we can do for you or your family. We can also offer some answers to general questions you may have including:
- What kinds of veterans’ benefits are available?
- Why is it important to discover options for veterans’ benefits?
- How can a Northern Michigan veterans’ benefits lawyer help you?
What Kinds of Veterans’ Benefits are Available?
The availability of veteran’s benefits varies depending upon factors including your health status; your income level; and your service record. There may also be a cost associated with using certain programs. Some examples of benefits which can become increasingly important as you age include:
- Medical care. Diagnostic testing and treatment can be provided at VA facilities, and insurance coverage may also be available for private providers under certain circumstances.
- Aid & Attendance. A&A is a pension increase which bedridden veterans and certain other veterans can receive. A&A can offset costs associated with home care, nursing home care, and other services required by veterans who need assistance with activities of daily living.
- Nursing services and nursing care. There are options for home healthcare assistance, as well as for residential care in community nursing homes and other appropriate settings.
- Adult day health care. Adult day services can help veterans to stay in their homes longer by providing assistance to seniors who need help with medications; skilled care services; case management; and assistance with activities of daily living. Programs are provided at veterans homes; VA medical centers; and other designated locations.
- Hospice care. Hospice can provide a peaceful end-of-life transition which is aimed at supporting families and managing pain.
- Respite care. Respite care can provide relief for caregivers who may need a break from their responsibilities.
- Telehealth care. Veterans have the opportunity to get medical questions answered and to get healthcare services provided over the phone.
- Medical foster homes. This can provide an opportunity for veterans who need medical care to live in an environment where this care can be provided.
These are just a few examples of the many possible benefits which you could potentially take advantage of, depending upon your personal situation.
Why is it Important to Discover Options for Veterans’ Benefits?
As you get older, you may experience health issues that affect your abilities. The costs of nursing home care, home care, adult day services, and other related services for the aged can be very expensive. You want to take advantage of any and all assistance that you can get from the veterans’ administration so these expenditures do not affect your family finances.
You have earned these benefits, and you should be able to get the assistance and support that you need for yourself and for your family. In addition to the financial support, the opportunities for adult day recreational programs and for caregiver respite services can also make it easier to remain engaged with the community and get emotional support to deal with aging. This can be important to maintaining health and morale.
To ensure that you are able to take advantage of all that you are entitled to as your needs increase, you need to get the right legal advice.
How Can a Northern Michigan Veterans’ Benefits Lawyer Help You?
Biddinger & Estelle, PC has provided assistance to many veterans in Cass City, Bad Axe, Caro, Deckerville, Reese, and surrounding areas throughout Michigan. We work with former military members and their families to make sure that you get access to the programs and services that can make your daily life easier. You earned these benefits and you should have the help you need to take full advantage of them. Give us a call at 989-872-5601 or contact us online to discover more about how we can help you.